How to keep spoons nice?

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
martie55
Spammer?: No

How to keep spoons nice?

Post by martie55 »

Is there any secrects out there that someone would mind sharing. I'm new to this and getting tired of buying new spoons constantly. I let all my brass spoons get to the point where I couldn't revive them with anything, so I decided I was going to get all gold spoons. Now when I pull them out of water for a couple days they get green and white spots. When I wipe them off the gold flakes go with it. Is there a secret to preserving these spoon so they last a couple months? Any advice appreciated.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: How to keep spoons nice?

Post by yak2you2 »

I've had the same couple of dozen gold and chromes on the boat and in use since Oct., 90% still look close to new. Here is what I do. I wipe them shiny on my sleeve on the way out, and again on the way back in. ESPECIALLY on the way in. Get all the saltwater off of them until they're dry. I've hung them up wet just to take a 20 minute boat ride on sunny days, and had them get the white spots. so now, means right now. 90% of their life span hinges on this one factor.
After their dry, I hang them in a bucket and put them in the house. That's it.
If your fishing everyday, every other day, or at least a couple of times a week, you shouldn't have any problems. Anymore than a week, and the white and later green spots start to show. If this happens, and you catch it early you can usually remove the spots with a little soak in CLR ( calcium-lime-rust remover) and a little gentle rubbing with a soft cloth. The way to avoid it all together is to get them off of the boat, rinsed with fresh water, and dried, for stretches longer than a week. or, immerse them in a bucket of Hydrotone, or solution of antifreeze/water.
Gold/chrome is all I will use anymore. I've had brass tarnish while it's in the water trolling. Some guys swear that adding a little sacrificial ring of copper or aluminum to the hook ring solves this. While this trick does help, I'm just not into it. Also, these spoons have to be kept submerged at all times.
For worse spots than what a soak in CLR will fix you can try some hardcore stuff like tarn-x, (the bottle says right on it that it causes cancer). My experience with any of the abrasives, Flitz, Red Bear, etc. usually lead to the spoon going over the side for scratches or lack of shine.
Good luck
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Here's a couple more tips. Sharpen your hooks often. Even new hooks are rarely sharp enough. After a fish or two, after sitting around for a while, a couple of hits with a file will make them sticky again, and it makes all the difference. I've read somewhere that the average salmon will make 2 or 3 strikes before getting caught, having ultra sharp hooks at the ready can only help your chances of hooking up.
When using Stainless Steel, which is all I use, ALWAYS hold the hook in one hand and the lure in the other and give it a snug twist. You will be surprised how many times the hook will pop right at the bend. I've learned the hard way that this will cost you a fish. For some reason the hooks will get a tiny rust spot right where you bend it to close it, After a while there will be basically nothing left under this rust spot. The slightest twist and pop! broken hook, so get in the habit of checking them on their way over.
Another bad habit that I and a lot of fishermen have that you want to avoid, hanging them where they flop continually against each other. This causes needless scratches. Hang them in a bucket, and then push a towel or something in to it that holds every spoon from excessive flopping around. Lastly, sunlight is not any good for any trolling gear. Turns leaders white, and it tends to fade paint on spoons and hootchies over time. Keep them out of the direct sunlight for long periods. Namely this means don't hang them in the window.
I've used clear fingernail polish and clear spray paint as clear coat that helps keep paint from chipping and brass from tarnishing to an extent. If you have a bunch of old gear these tricks might help make them useful.
martie55

Post by martie55 »

Yak,

Thanks for the tips, that's some of the exact information I'm looking for. I have read a lot of other posts and some of this information is incredible, things I would have never thought of. Hopefully it translates into more fish.
JKD

Post by JKD »

I love to tow bright spoons around and have gone through the entire learning process for keeping them as shiny as possible. There is a lot of good information in these posts. I always wipe my spoons dry and lay them out on layers of paper towels to keep them from clattering together. I am a fan of aluminum jump rings through the hook ring and the eye of the hook.

The one spoon tip I would pass on is related to the hooks. Yak talks about the tiny rust spot on his SS hooks and I know those little buggers well. I whole-heartedly agree with him to test your hooks every day. I don't have a remedy to always keep that spot from forming over time, but I started getting a lot more life out of spoon hooks after I was told by a Mustad hook rep that was visiting Murray-Pacific in Sitka that when you crimp your siwash hooks on your tackle - do it all in ONE squeeze of your pliers. According to him if you try to make the eye close with more than one squeeze of your Channel-locks, the temper of the eye is weakened and it can let go at almost any time. And the latter usually happens when you get to look that big smiley right in the eye before the hook lets go! :shock:
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Good thought JKD, I forgot to mention that. Also Salty says that Mustad Tuna hooks won't snap like that, but I've not tried them yet. Different metals have different tempers.
Here's another thought. In my humble opinion, hammered spoons are a very good marketing ploy buy the manufacturers to get those of us who already have plenty of spoons, to buy even more. I have fished both extensively, and find that one fishes just as good as the other. No doubt there will be some who don't agree with me about this, but one thing is irrefutable, hammered spoons are way harder to keep clean. The white crust builds up in all the little dimples, and is hard to get out. I have a pile of both, but if I had it to do over again, I would buy only smooth surface spoons. They last about twice as long.
JKD

Post by JKD »

Yeah I know what you mean - I have bitten on a lot of hammered spoons myself. ;)
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Don't want to get anyone in trouble here, but I've always been curious how spoons would do in an electric dishwasher. Havn't had the courage to try it yet.
martie55

Post by martie55 »

Okay. Another stupid question. Are your spoons crimped directly to your leaders or do you use some sort of clip? Again I am new to this handtrolling, I'm just a weekend warrior, and the more I learn the more questions I have.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

Usually I will just make a loop with a small, double overhand knot at the end of the leader and then use a #6 McMahon scissor snap. This way I can switch out spoons easily to whatever is desired. However, there are instances when I will use a cinch knot directly to the lure to get a different action. Plugs in particular. Less hardware is always better when their being finicky too. these snaps are good, but they weaken after a while, and they get sticky, then it's time to throw them. I've seen fish open up weak ones and get away because of it.
It's more expensive to get set up with, but I like running all #9 snubbers to connect to the wire with. Gives the fish a little extra shock absorber, and gives a little boat like mine a little extra shock absorber on rough days. Some guys feel like they scare the fish, I havn't had any problems with them.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I use a small aluminum sleeve similar to but not a Jinkai sleeve to make a small loop at the end of all my pre-tied leaders. Then I use a # 5 scissor snap to connect to the spoon. I use a # 6 scissor snap to connect to the flasher. I put the loop on all of my hootchie and bait leaders.

When using aluminum sleeves be sure to flatten the end of the leader after sliding through the sleeve. Then it will not slide through and snugs up nice for the final crimp. Be sure to have enough room on either side of the crimp so you don't crimp either end of the sleeve and cut the leader. I double crimp each sleeve by rotating it 90 degrees for the second crimp.

The sleeves I use are a little longer than the Jinkai sleeves which gives more tolerance at the ends.
yak2you2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by yak2you2 »

I like sleeves too. Knots work if you don't have them, and a newbie should learn to tie all the right knots, so he can, if he has too. If a leader is going to fail it will invaribly be at the knot. No knot is as strong as the leader material once was. To that end comes another peice of advice. Watch your gear when your going through it, Replace any knots or snarls in the leaders.
martie55

Post by martie55 »

Wow, thanks for all the info. I use the Jinkai sleeves and burn the ends, I suppose I should probably learn a couple knots.

Apparently I've been doing alot of this backwards. I have about 25 various flashers all tied up with their own leaders, 30 or so spoons tied up with all their own leaders, and a bunch of plugs the same way. I like the idea of having leaders with connections rather than hard tied. I always have such a mess of gear and am looking for a way to be a little neater with all the gear, but still be able to get it in and out of the water without wasting so much time. I have all kinds of totes, bins, and buckets with all my gear, I'm looking for some simpler ideas for gear storage if anyone has some.
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Here are a couple of ideas.

1. I am a throat cancer survivor. Do not burn the ends of the monofilament anymore ever!!! You don't need to, it is toxic, and you will end up burning your fingers too. I use the Jinkai blue handled crimpers for crimping my sleeves and they have a nice feature right in the bottom of the crimp tool which will flatten your mono or other leader. Is faster, cleaner, and safer than burning and works great.

2. I tie the leader lengths I am using and spool them on to my used up leader spools. The loops at each end with the sleeve and flattened leader catch on each other to attach leader after leader, quick to make, easy to unspool, and nothing to corrode. (I used to use the scissor clips on the end of each leader but they corroded over time and caught on each other. ) Now I put the scissor clips on the flashers and spoons and just clip the leaders onto them.

3. I take quart size ziplock bags and store my spoons, hootchies, and pre-tied hooks by color, size, and leader length in these bags.

4. I have a hook drawer, a hootchie drawer, a snap, swivel, fair lead etc drawer, a spoon drawer, a flasher drawer, pre-tied hook drawer, and a pre-tied hootchie or bait terminal leader drawer.

5. In the pit I have a flasher drawer, a spoon bucket, and a drawer for connectors, line markers, swivels, snaps, etc.

6. For a donation to this site I have the best trick on how to tie hootchies to help keep them from sliding up the leaders and getting all tangled up. I will post a picture.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

I keep all my bright spoons in plastic coffee containers full of antifreeze, it is better to remove hook however sometimes I get lazy and then I have to use a bit of flitz or red bear with minimal polishing ready to go. When hooks are removed they stay nice and shiny in antifreeze.
Carol W

Post by Carol W »

Ok Eric where do I get these magical aluminum sleeves?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Both Nikka and Pacific Net and Twine, both in Steveston, BC., have better sleeves than than Jinkai.

I use the Yo-zuri H232 #M from Pacific Net and Twine.

I like them better than Jinkai because they are longer and softer which decreases the ends cutting into the line and they are easier to crimp.

They are also quite a bit cheaper.

Somebody reading this should make a donation to this site because this is a worthwhile tip. I am passing it on because Tom asked and it is also an ergonomic tip for the fleet. Making it easier to squeeze those sleeves reduces the wear on your hands and arm.

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/

Say hi to Frank for me.
kjwelder

Post by kjwelder »

I recommend using edible products. For polishing spoons I use salt. For lubricant I use cooking oil; spray pam is 1/2 price for 2x as much as other toxic products.
kj
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Where can I buy those little aluminum jump rings?
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

I no longer double crimp the sleeves. One good crimp is good enough.