2012 DeckHand Position?

Find a job on a fishing boat, or sign on a deckhand.
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

2012 DeckHand Position?

Post by TomD »

Hey everyone,

Looking for a deckhand position this season in South East Alaska. I'm a twenty-eight year-old, honest, hard worker. I value positive attitudes and common sense and get along well with others. I would like to work on a troller or tender for the 2012 season and enjoy long hours, rain, cleaning fish, cleaning in general, cooking and tying fishing gear. I can get by with little sleep and hate whining.

I am drug / alcohol and health issue free and will be in SE Alaska in May. I will remain until the end of the season. If you have a spot or may be looking for someone please send me a PM and I’ll send you additional contact information so you can see if I’m what you’re looking for. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed and I'll look forward to meeting you. Lets talk and see if we can work something out. I would like to meet in person in May for some pre-season work .

Thank you very much,

Tom D Jr
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: 2012 DeckHand Position?

Post by TomD »

Hey everyone !
I hope your all well and everything is going good. I have left California and one of you great Captains on here has taken me into there home with there family for a week in Olympia Washington before I catch the ferry Friday out of Bellingham WA.I am very grateful of this and am very glad that Captain "L" has bin teaching me so much ! I am on my way to becoming a Commercial Fisherman. I just wanted to thank everyone and can't wait to get up to Alaska and begin .
Tom D Jr
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

Sounds like things might be working out for both of us. Great to hear Tom. I wish you the best and look forward to a drink with you at the end of the season. :)
Jackson
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Jackson Combs wrote:Sounds like things might be working out for both of us. Great to hear Tom. I wish you the best and look forward to a drink with you at the end of the season. :)

That's what I like to hear buddy ! This is a great group of fisherman who are very helpful .Were gonna do great and absolutely sounds good to me! I am excited to get on the ferry Friday and head on up to Alaska .The family I am staying with is awsome and I do not feel as nervous to get up there now. Good luck to you and see you up there .
Tom D Jr
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Well I have arrived in Ketchikan Ak this morning and it seems to be a pretty nice town. Its raining but I am ok with that. I spent the first part of the day on the docks and well no leads yet. I don't know how many bad attitude people I can meet on the docks before I leave this town and try the next. I do not understand people's attitudes sometimes when a guy is simply saying good morning and hello. I am not gonna give up and people are gonna get tired of me walking up and down the docks and someone is going to grab me up. Thank you all for all the help to get me to this point so far,it really does mean a lot. I am in a Safeway using free Wifi and getting out of the rain for awhile trying to get warm for a bit.
Tom Day Jr
Once and Future
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Once and Future »

Hi Tom:

Kinda makes the words of those wiseacres suggesting greenhorns should pound the docks to learn the trade ring hollow, doesn't it?

Don't let the turkeys wear you down. (Also easier said than done.) Some of the wisest words on here are Angie's, something to the effect of the "lows are very low, but the highs are pretty high".

Until you get on a boat, or if you don't get on a boat, you will have to enjoy your adventure by reminding yourself to take pleasure in the moment. Remember that several times a day you are making memories that you don't realize it now, but you will recall for the rest of your life. I like to remember Rudyard Kipling's advice that success and failure are imposters. In other words, everyone needs a few lucky breaks. It's easy for those who get a leg up on the world to get smug. But those who are rude to friendly strangers are bitter people who have been kicked around by the same world you are in and have let it get the best of them. I predict you will find some people who are very warm as well. I remember my first year in Alaska when I met a peer and had a good laugh over something. I wondered why it felt so good and realized it was because I hadn't had an honest belly laugh with a friendly person for 6 weeks.

Ketchikan? Go over to the harbor that has the gurdy repair shop right on the water front at twilight. When the lights are on inside and the sky is turning dark blue (if you can catch a cloudless night in Ketch) it is a very special place. I just happened on a movie made in the 50's with the word "Vengeance" in the title that used those buildings as a backdrop in the opening scenes. Also go over to Murray's Pacific on water street and eyeball the gear to see what you can learn. And keep your chin up. At least you haven't had to become a foreign language spammer on the internet to get by yet!
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Once and Future wrote:Hi Tom:

Kinda makes the words of those wiseacres suggesting greenhorns should pound the docks to learn the trade ring hollow, doesn't it?

Don't let the turkeys wear you down. (Also easier said than done.) Some of the wisest words on here are Angie's, something to the effect of the "lows are very low, but the highs are pretty high".

Until you get on a boat, or if you don't get on a boat, you will have to enjoy your adventure by reminding yourself to take pleasure in the moment. Remember that several times a day you are making memories that you don't realize it now, but you will recall for the rest of your life. I like to remember Rudyard Kipling's advice that success and failure are imposters. In other words, everyone needs a few lucky breaks. It's easy for those who get a leg up on the world to get smug. But those who are rude to friendly strangers are bitter people who have been kicked around by the same world you are in and have let it get the best of them. I predict you will find some people who are very warm as well. I remember my first year in Alaska when I met a peer and had a good laugh over something. I wondered why it felt so good and realized it was because I hadn't had an honest belly laugh with a friendly person for 6 weeks.

Ketchikan? Go over to the harbor that has the gurdy repair shop right on the water front at twilight. When the lights are on inside and the sky is turning dark blue (if you can catch a cloudless night in Ketch) it is a very special place. I just happened on a movie made in the 50's with the word "Vengeance" in the title that used those buildings as a backdrop in the opening scenes. Also go over to Murray's Pacific on water street and eyeball the gear to see what you can learn. And keep your chin up. At least you haven't had to become a foreign language spammer on the internet to get by yet!
Thank you very much Once and Future,
I know that even with all the bad it is only going to make me stronger and IF someday I am a Captain I will remember the guy just like me trying to get his foot in the door. Today there were a few more friendly guys on boats who said "Your on the right path walking the docks" and they had a friendly smile. Some said I should leave here and move on to the next town I am too early . I am just lost at this moment and not sure what I really got myself into . I still have a smile on my face and a good attitude but my gut is telling me this isn't the place to be. I met a local on the ferry and after walking me to all the canneries (he has worked at) and telling me the story's of junkies and tweakers working there getting loaded at lunch working like speed demons ,I really don't want to get around those kind of people. I filled an application to work at a Float Plane company and they are full and MAYBE would need someone in 2 weeks, I am surely not going to be in this town in 2 weeks lol . Sitting here in the Safeway lobby looking out the window at this Troller is putting a smile on my face. I honestly think I am going to go get back on the ferry and head to Sitka. I don't know I am lost like I said . I very much thank you for your kind words .
Tom Day Jr
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

That's really great counsel Once and Future. There's a whole lot of wisdom in that post. The laughter story really highlights the value of friends.

Tom - As hard as you work, with the drive you have and your ability to get along with people someone's got a spot for you. They'll probably dump that half drunk relative that won't get out of bed on the first call and drags their feet on their way to the hold and pick you up instead. You just have to find 'em. You're not lost at all, but exactly where you said you would be several months ago and I'm a tad jealous.

I heard this on the radio yesterday and I can't quote it exactly, but it went something like, "I went out to find a friend and found none. I went out to be a friend and found plenty." Once and Future is spot-on.

Lane
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

SilverT wrote:That's really great counsel Once and Future. There's a whole lot of wisdom in that post. The laughter story really highlights the value of friends.

Tom - As hard as you work, with the drive you have and your ability to get along with people someone's got a spot for you. They'll probably dump that half drunk relative that won't get out of bed on the first call and drags their feet on their way to the hold and pick you up instead. You just have to find 'em. You're not lost at all, but exactly where you said you would be several months ago and I'm a tad jealous.

I heard this on the radio yesterday and I can't quote it exactly, but it went something like, "I went out to find a friend and found none. I went out to be a friend and found plenty." Once and Future is spot-on.

Lane
Lane ,
How I miss the conversations already buddy ;) Ketchikan is a different place that is for sure. Its bin raining the whole time and I honestly don't mind to much at all .I think this is more of a tourists town then a fishing town . Sure there is some fisherman here but not nearly as many fishing boats as I had maybe thought there might be . I went up to 3 Power Trollers yesterday with people on them and they did not need/want anyone. I went to a Seiner when I saw a couple guys on it and they pretty much laughed in my face, I kept a smile on my face and walked on to the next boat. I walked up to what looked like a Gillnetter and the Captain (well at least who I think he was ) almost fell off his boat giving me the cold shoulder , it was pretty funny. Every time I talk to someone its the same thing "Go to the bar and look for a Captain" is it a must that I work for someone who comes into port and only goes to the bar to spend his money while the boat he just got of looks like its about to sink? Or "Well such and such cannery will hire you" so I go there and get up to the crowd of people in front who are on break or waiting for work and realize they are not the people I want to work or sleep next to or be around anytime.

"I went out to find a friend and found none. I went out to be a friend and found plenty." That rings truth in this moment , I had met a guy who was traveling to Alaska to live and we were inside chatting and we had decided to go out on deck and I noticed he had only had a T-Shirt on ,I asked if he had a coat and he said it was stolen from him back in Washington so I took my Sweatshirt off and gave it to him and well I will never forget him and sure he will remember me. I still have a smile on my face and I continue to talk to people and say hello . I think I am leaving this town tonight to head on to the next, there is a pass you can buy on the ferry that allows you to travel to three stops whenever you like , get on and get off and I am gonna pick it up today and head to the next port.

I thank you and yours for everything you have done for me and I will keep pushing forward.

Thank you Lane.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

This has sure been a cold, wet spring. Summer just cannot seem to break through. I have been watching your story unfold on here Tom, and you seem to be handling your dissapointment well. I know that I go out of my way to be warm and friendly to any dockwalkers, but I know that some people arent nice to anybody. I have to say that most boats already have a crew, or wont need one until the week before July. I might know a guy who will be looking for a hand this summer. I dont think that you would want to wait that long though. I could say the usual things about persistance and hard work, but I think that you already know that. What you need to hear right now is somebody say "alright son, I'll give you a try." I am sorry that I am not the guy who will be saying it, but keep on going until somebody does. What do you think your next stop will be?
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Abundance wrote:This has sure been a cold, wet spring. Summer just cannot seem to break through. I have been watching your story unfold on here Tom, and you seem to be handling your dissapointment well. I know that I go out of my way to be warm and friendly to any dockwalkers, but I know that some people arent nice to anybody. I have to say that most boats already have a crew, or wont need one until the week before July. I might know a guy who will be looking for a hand this summer. I dont think that you would want to wait that long though. I could say the usual things about persistance and hard work, but I think that you already know that. What you need to hear right now is somebody say "alright son, I'll give you a try." I am sorry that I am not the guy who will be saying it, but keep on going until somebody does. What do you think your next stop will be?
Thank you as always Garrett,
I do enjoy the cold wet weather back home in California its like 95 right now and I am glad I am not there lol I enjoy rain and cold weather much more. I have my head up and a smile on my face, I know when the right Captain gets me on board things will work out great and he will not be disappointed. i thank you for being someone who is nice to the guys like me on the docks , I have met just a couple who seemed genuine and said I was doing the right thing. yea some of the boats i walked up to had a large crew on them and well walking up to 5 guys standing on a boat telling jokes about tourists and then seeing me walk up sure does make for a good laugh for them lol I don't mind they don't know me and if they did I would be there friend and crew member . I bought a one way ticket up and until I make some money I wont be able to go back to California ;) I hope I do not spend my time endlessly searching for a spot and then the season ends haha. And I appreciate any and all words you have shared with me and words of encouragement never hurt,it is nice to know people out there are willing to toss some advice to people still. Somebody IS going to look at me and say "alright son, I'll give you a try." I know it ! I just don't think it will be in this town. And I have bin either thinking of Petersburg, Juneau, or Sitka and actually I was just told that I should go to Petersburg before Sitka so I think that is where I will head off to . As always thank you very much and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Tom Day Jr
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I will tell the Capt. of the Boat I fished on 2 yrs ago you will be in Petersburg. He just told me a couple days ago he is gonna try Trolling for Dogs this summer and wanted a Deckhand. He is in the lower 48 but I think he leaves tomorrow for Petersburg. I will call and tell him about you and if he is interested I will send you a pm. Good Luck Tom I wish I was up there on the docks with you.
Joe
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Did you try Bar Harbor in Ketchikan ?
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I sent you a pm Tom.
sunrisebob

Post by sunrisebob »

What is your phone number
sunrisebob

Post by sunrisebob »

That phone number is not workingT
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Good afternoon everyone,
Today is a very nice day, a light breeze and the sun is shining . I have spent the morning walking the docks from north to south and met a lot more great people. I like this town and the people in it. I put a flyer up on the board on the north harbor and am about to make more for the others.

Joeman79 thank you for all you have done, I have seen the boat and it is great ! I have not met the Captain yet but I heard from a friend of his that he has arrived in town so I will be heading back to his boat to see if he is on it. Thank you again.

Lone Eagle I did not check that bar out and have left Ketchikan but I thank you for the heads up for sure.

Sunrisebob I have figured out my new number and have sent you it in a pm thank you for posting and hope to talk to you soon.

If it was not for ALL off you on here I would not be where I am at today and I thank you all, I hope to come across your paths in the future and hope to enjoy a good morning conversation on the docks. Thank you very much.

Tom Day Jr
Hotspott

Post by Hotspott »

Please let us know this is not you, Tom D....and that you are are enjoying your experience in Alaska

http://www.adn.com/2012/06/13/2503784/d ... rylink=cpy
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Wow an unfortunate story actually. I feel for the family that is for sure, its pretty sad it had to end that way for him. And a little offset about some of the punk A** comments people are leaving.Its sad how "hard" people want to act behind a computer these days, knowing damn well they wouldn't say 99% of the things that come out of the mouth to someones face. I am still alive and healthy. Thank's for checking ;)

I understood it would be hard to get a job in Alaska,that I did know. But I also wish a few key points were told to me instead of finding out when I got up there. (like early May is a little early to go up ,which I was told time and time again from people working on there boats getting them ready while I was Dock Walking(seemed like I was there at the right time for some work...),Or what Towns NOT to go to to try and get on a boat because some towns don't have that kind of fleet). So after spending over 3k in expenses,finding out I couldn't set a tent up wherever I wanted(without being told I would be arrested by the many cops I talked to) , and running into some of the most.....let me put this nicely ,"messed up character's" on some of the boats I came across(Being told to "F" off, or "Do you do dope?" "No sir" I respond proudly "Then you cannot work on my boat then"...) . Going from Ketchikan to Petersburg, back down to Wrangell up to Jeuno , and then finally over to Sitka all while having my Black and Red backpack on my back and my Green backpack packed on the front (yea it looked heavy but was much heavier then it looked haha) Stopping and talking to ANYONE and EVERYONE who was on the dock's or on there boat politely asking "Good morning,by chance do you or anyone you know may be looking for a deckhand this season?" over and over again. Posting flyer's up on every board I saw at the dock's or the local store with no calls.

I have had to unfortunately thrown in the towel and now am on my way back to California . Looks like my 2012 fishing season is over in Alaska with the only boat's I have bin on in the water being the Alaska Marine Highway Ferry's lol(which was probably the best part about Alaska to me) . It was an ...experience that is for sure and I may give it a shot next season but just go about it in a different way then I did this year. I mean I still have all my unused gear ready to be put on and worked in for next year that's a plus...haha .

Again thank you everyone who I ran into and was polite and willing to stop working and chat with me a minute and pass on good words of advice . It was also pretty cool seeing some of your guys boats on my Journey in person like in Wrangell.

I wish you all the best of luck this season and hope you all fill your boats with fish !
lone eagle

Post by lone eagle »

Just a thought; scoot on over to Fort Bragg ,July 11th openning , or down to Bodega Bay-Half Moon Bay. Might get lucky with a good boat and maybe forget the camping and sleep in the back of a truck....same with Alaska. I went through all that travelling-camping stuff years ago, still remember the damp. camping in the wet and cold hurts the spirit. And I worked in a cannery for quite some years, the work was tough but the people were fine, get to know your new town, the shitty boats ,good boats....make a life of it