Deckhand available

Find a job on a fishing boat, or sign on a deckhand.
Jackson Combs
Spammer?: No

Deckhand available

Post by Jackson Combs »

Hello,

My name is Jackson Combs. Clean/Sober. I'm 30 years old and live just outside of Corvallis, OR. I've just returned home after 4months
pitching snowcrab and helping on deck of the 280' P/V Arctic Star out of Dutch Harbor. I have some experience commercial
Dungeness crabbing out of Newport, OR. Trolling has always appealed to me, especially in S.E, and I would love the opportunity to crew for
someone here. In the future I would like to own a salmon/tuna troller and am eager to learn everything I can about the fisheries and trolling in general. I am ready and available now, can travel for gear work etc, and will stay on the boat as long as needed to wrap up the season. I have a fishing resume and references available. Please message me for contact info and any questions you might have.

Thanks,

Jackson
Jackson Combs

Re: Deckhand available

Post by Jackson Combs »

Thank you for the private messages and encouragement! Someone even generously offered me a ride from BHam to Sitka on their boat to look for work.

I ended up going back on deck on the Arctic Star and then working on the F/T Ocean Rover for some B-Season pollock. Home now enjoying the rest of summer. Hoping to get in on some fall/winter fishing though!

Fish on!
Jackson
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Awsome ! Glad to hear you were able to get out there and do some fishing !
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

For sure. I can't say I was too keen on participating in the great pollock machine, but sometimes a job's a job. ;)
Jackson
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Yea that's true. Have you fished for pollock before ? What was it like? Nice size boat and did you stay out long ? Just wondering, glad your back home enjoying the rest of the summer !
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

TomD wrote:Yea that's true. Have you fished for pollock before ? What was it like? Nice size boat and did you stay out long ? Just wondering, glad your back home enjoying the rest of the summer !

No I hadn't. It was on a 340' dragger in the Bering Sea fishing off St George Island. We had decent weather and quick fishing. Average trip was about 10 days.
Jackson
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

Heading up to Hoonah at the end of Feb. to learn salmon trolling on the F/V Gold Dust. March. through Sept. at this point. Fish on!
Jackson
Jackson Combs

Post by Jackson Combs »

First fish hit the deck a week or so ago. Waiting for this system to move through and we're heading to the outside for the last couple weeks of winter kings before some grid time. Feels good to be fishing again. :) Might post some pictures at some point.
Jackson
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Still on the same boat. Stayed all winter. Fun stuff.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Change of circumstances.

Available and looking for work. Currently in Hoonah. SOBER skippers only, please. If anyone has any leads, I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Now fishing for Jim Dybdahl on the Carol Ann. Fish on!
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Finished out cohos back on the Gold Dust.

Tired of crewing for other people. Just bought my own 45' troller. :)
curmudgeon
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by curmudgeon »

Good for you! Excellent! Congrats! (post pictures!)
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Thanks Mike.
I just saw your email too. I'll try to respond in full tomorrow morning but I think what you want to do is awesome and exactly what this industry, not just this fishery, needs more of!

Here's the boat. Getting it hauled out next week-ish. It needs a little love on the inside ( a few ribs :/ ), but hopefully nothing that will keep me from fishing hard this year.

joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Nice Looking Rig Jackson!! Good Luck and Hope you make it up to SE this summer. Congrats Man.
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Thanks Joe! Hope to see you again this year. :)