Gettin Excited

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Spammer?: No

Gettin Excited

Post by joeman79 »

I get to go Trolling for MONTH!!! YEEHAWW!!!! With the summer drought affecting my North Central Kansas business, I have decided to head north for a month to troll on the "Sidney". Leave July 8th to Craig to either chase early Cohos or Dogs!! I am STOKED!!!!! Hope to meet a few of the people on here. Maybe at Neets Bay. And I am bringing some of my FAMOUS Smoked Meat. Booked my flight today, I am EXCITED!!!!!! So if your down there Salty or any others on this forum I would like to invite you over for a little Brisket, pulled pork or Ribs on the F/V Sidney. Like the Capt. Told me last night I am setting the groundwork to become a S.E AK Troller. Hope to meet a few of you all.
11 days!!!!! I can't wait.
Joe
TC92
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Location: Puget Sound born and raised… currently land locked in Iowa

Re: Gettin Excited

Post by TC92 »

Joeman- your enthusiasm and resolve to follow your dream is inspirational. I can't wait to get my affairs in order so that one day soon I can make the same type of post on here... Good luck and keep us dreamers posted on how it goes!

-TC
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Joeman,
Who knows where the summer will take me. But give us a call if you see us and perhaps we can get together. We are pretty busy when we are at Neets trying to find a fish but you never know when we might be at the same tender or dock.
Really enjoyed the spring season avoiding the fleet. As many of you know, Chinook abundance is down for some reason in Alaska this year and our spring hatchery catches reflect that. And the weather has been setting records for cold, windy, and wet. Nevertheless I had a wonderful time digging a few out of "potholes" away from everyone else with a new lure developed by an old friend, and the price was good.
Off for "kinging" now even though all reports indicate they are scarce. Good luck to all, good fishing and be safe.

"Salty"
Eric Jordan
F/V I Gotta
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

Thanks for the replies and Good luck on the Chinooks Salty. I will holler at you if I see your boat.
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

38 hrs and I will be on a Troller!!!!!!!! Hope to meet some of you in the next month!!!!!!!!!!!
STOKED!!
Joe
TomD
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by TomD »

Awsome Joeman!!

I am excited for you and you being able to go out this season ! Its so nice out there on the water for sure. Sad I am missing out on some smoked Brisket ! If you get a chance take a few photos. Good luck out there !!

Tom Jr
Salty
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Salty »

Pretty dismal troll opening for most. A few fish in a few spots that got cleaned up quick. Not many coho around and Icy Straights was a bust for chums. I have been at Neets for 5 days and left twice in disgust. 12 chums for 6 hours
Today.
I sure hope things improve or we will need a Trollers relief and Retraining thread.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

I just about swore to myself that I would not go to Neets Bay this summer, as I believe it will be severely overcrowded. I have poked and fished my way around PoW looking for fish, and have been disappointed. I picked up three chums and a handfull of cohos for a few hours in Sumner, and have one chum, one coho, and several tons of shaker kings and pollock today for two hours by Wrangell. I dont know if I have much choice but to go visit Neets. There is no shortage of chums here by Wrangell, I watched gillnetters struggle to get their nets aboard, they were so full. A seiner in Anita Bay came out nearly plugged. I hear the seiners had record catches down in Neets on their final opening. Maybe the dogs just wont bite this year. I did manage to have my personal best day for king salmon catching on the ocean, but that went towards finally paying off my winters fuel bill. I am getting a little worried about this year, but its a long season yet. It has to get better.
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

nd
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I must have hit some key that deleted my Trip Report!! CRAP Well I will rewrite tomorrow if I have time. Brief report is. Went to Neets Bay and Trolled for Chums for 2 weeks, I had to cut my trip short due to reasons at home. Had a GREAT TIME!! Fishing was slow compared to last year they said, but we managed 60-75 a day. Our best day was 126. Saw the F/v I GOTTA and F/V Abundance alot. Never did talk to them but enjoyed watching both of them fish. Salty works the beach like the pro he is. Listening to Eric's stories and opinions on the radio was interesting and fun to listen to.
My desire to own my own Troller is stronger than it's ever been.
I screwed up a couple times and bird nested a Gurdie and lost 2 gaff hooks trying to conk the Big Dogs. The first time Salty was right behind us, don't know if he saw it or not. The arthritis in my hands denies me the grip I once had.
Ate some fresh Dungie Crab that was out of this world. Met a couple people but mostly ran gear and tried to learn everything I could in my 2 weeks on the boat.
Listening to Eric talking about having his Granddaughter on the boat watching for jumpers had me dreaming of taking my Grandson Jaxson Joe Trolling when he gets older. (7 months old)
The experiences I had were great. I am sure the Capt. had his doubts at times about me, but he did compliment me and encouraged me to own my own boat someday.
Hopefully next year I can return for at least a month again. Till then I will lurk here and research all I can about becoming a Troller.
Abundance
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Abundance »

Whenever I saw the Sidney pass me, I wondered if you were on it. Good to know that you were. The catches at Neets Bay were disappointingly lower than last years, but a sixty to seventy five a day average (the same as mine, by the way) is a living. Especially at the unusually enormous, alligator looking sizes of these things. Getting back into coho fishing is a bit of a letdown. I got close to a hundred cohos today, and only one made seven pounds. Its not even fun to catch these things anymore. I find myself wandering close to local creek mouths to get a handfull of big black dogs now and then, just for the excitement. Its like king salmon fishing, catching these fifteen, twenty, occasionally even thirty pound beasts. And no cleaning was great. All I needed a deckhand for was steering around the fleet. I feel kind of embarrassed at how my boat looked, with everybody in their shiny fresh summer paint and me looking shabby and worn after a long, brutal winter and tough spring of trying to make ends meet. The Sidney sure looked pretty. It was nice seeing so many of the boats that I know from this forum over there. Maybe we will bump into each other next year!
Garrett Hagen, F/V Abundance
joeman79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by joeman79 »

I thought your boat looked outstanding Garrett!!! I waved at you a few times but Ken did not want me on the radio I don't think. Next year I definitelty hope to return for a much longer period of time and hopefully meet a bunch of you guys.