video of trawler crew pewing over dead halibut at the dock i

Discussion area for political and legal issues affecting Alaskan salmon fisheries.
entropy1
Spammer?: No

video of trawler crew pewing over dead halibut at the dock i

Post by entropy1 »

Think this might be happening with King Salmon?

Here's what happens during the 84% of the time draggers aren't carrying observers.

Just think how many halibut might still be around had we adopted a plan similar to what the Canadiens did over 16 years ago when they reduced their halibut bycatch from 2,000,000 lbs down to 300,0000 while catching all their trawl allowable catches.

This is THE NORM not the exception. This is a deliberate plan to eliminate halibut so they cease to exist as a bycatch species.

http://tholepin.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe ... razen.html
entropy1

Re: video of trawler crew pewing over dead halibut at the do

Post by entropy1 »

Sorry about the poor quality of the video it's a screen shot of the video playing on another device. I spoke with the fellow who filmed it, he is sending a hard copy and the tholepin guy will be posting it. Should be better quality. It may show up as a youtube.
entropy1

Post by entropy1 »

Tholepin has edited the video and posted it. Still not the greatest quality but this was filmed by accident by some guys getting on the M/V Tustemena.
The ferry dock in Kodiak overlooks Trident"s unloading station and these guys couldn't believe what they were seeing, nor the reaction from the NMFS cop, who laughed. The link in my original post no longer works, best to just go to: http://tholepin.blogspot.com/ it's the current top posting.
John Murray
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by John Murray »

There was a decent article in the Nov. 2013 Fisherman's News Bycatch Issues Still a Hot Topic Before Federal Fisheries Managers.It offered a overview of what's going on at the Council level.There is some important stuff coming up concerning the Gulf of Alaska drag fisheries, discussion papers on a number of fronts to try and reduce bycatch.
If you support reduction in bycatch, support of local coastal communities and the small boat fleets check out Alaska Marine Conservation Council.They do good work at the Council level.
Their are a number of individuals and groups also working important issues. They also could use some support.Ask around there are more people out there working toward better management practices then one might realize.Its a hopeful sign in these darkening days.