Fish Sales Worksheet

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fish Sales Worksheet

Post by SilverT »

The attached Excel spreadsheet, will not reflect the conditions in each locale (was developed for ours) but may help in consideration of fish sales options. This was not developed by an Excel pro and am confident it has much room for improvement. Prices are outdated, nothing is locked in the spreadsheet and the percentages, taxes, etc. can and should be be edited. There is no chum column, though easily added. Recommended boxes for edit are highlighted in yellow. To be clear, the numbers shown do not represent present, local conditions.

Alternating between selling to buyers, paying for processing, wholesaling and retailing, one mystery it brought some clarity to, was the delta between dock price and retail. Hopefully this adds some perspective. It's obvious but everyone handling the fish even one time has to make enough to make it worthwhile but it wasn't clear how much was needed at each phase. Again, to be clear, the numbers shown do not necessarily reflect what is needed.

If we handled every part between catching and retail, we got all the profit, but as one old timer told me, while I watched him fillet fish for retail sale off the dock, "Son, what you don't understand is that you see me here filleting fish, but there's a whole family involved in this operation. After we prep the boat, I fish for three or four days, then my son and daughter meet me at the dock and help me unload a portion for processing and begin prepping again. My wife's on the phone at home right now calling our clients to come pick up fish and I have other family members that help us off and on." He couldn't do it all and he was happy his partners were all making money.
Attachments
Fish Worksheet.xlsx
(17.31 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Sales Worksheet Pic2.jpg
Sales Worksheet Pic.jpg