26ft troller help

A forum for people who are new to commercial fishing and for talking about the fundamental rules and regulations.
SteelheadStalker
Spammer?: No

26ft troller help

Post by SteelheadStalker »

I bought Kats Toi, a 26ft fiberform inboard/outdrive with all the aluminum poles and structure...it has 4 turnbull gurdies and a Vickers pump...all the salmon gear has been removed from the boat and I'm in the process of re-installing...I don't know how the previous owners had it rigged for fishing and I"ve never fished commercially so I am kind of going into this blind...I need a kill box, thinking of building one on top of the engine cowl and the fish hold I don't know about but it don't have to be huge since its just a little day boat...I am in grants pass and plan to fish out of brookings to coos bay area when I get the boat together...I don't know how to rig the springs on the end of my poles or anything was hoping somebody close by could help for a charge? or pics would sure help me a ton, I spent hours online looking for small boats to get ideas from and they are scarce...I'm rigging the hay rack on it because they were what I had laying around and the old davits were made of iron and rusty as hell...I will connect each side with 8ft pipe welded across and squared up...any advice on rigging would be appreciated...I don't need to hear how small boats suck, obviously bigger is better, but this is what I could afford to get started and if it works out I'll upgrade but I need to learn first...PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Attachments
image (3).jpeg
image (2).jpeg
SteelheadStalker

Re: 26ft troller help

The aluminum poles are 17ft long and I only have one pic of it rigged and ready to fish...I don't know where to rig stays or what to put on my poles...right now they are stripped...
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (160.6 KiB) Viewed 59748 times
SilverT
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by SilverT »

SteelheadStalker,

Paste the links below into your browser to download three sets of photos of a small boat. Once you have downloaded the zip files you will have to extract the pics to a local folder. The downloads are up to 110 MB so be patient, but you should be able to zoom in on areas you need to take a close look at once you open the pics.

https://files.scjalliance.com/get/47048 ... 2434322759

https://files.scjalliance.com/get/1ca5d ... 4b74f3024c

https://files.scjalliance.com/get/27f44 ... 91245a575d

Happy New Year
thediverdude
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by thediverdude »

I fish the same boat in California. Can send some pics of my rig. My poles are 25 feet. I removed the flybridge . Obstructed view ahead. Will submit pics when I figure out hot
SteelheadStalker

Thanks thediverdude!!!! Would really appreciate pics and SilverT thanks a ton!!! I"m downloading as I type
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

For a fish hold you could just get an insulated fish tote. Basically a commercial grade cooler:

http://www.plasticfishcontainers.com/pl ... ontainers/ <--- a simple search on google turned this up. you might find them on craigslist.

They aren't cheap to start with but are perfect for what you need. I have a 'half' sized tote on my boat just to carry extra ice (9 Cu. ft.) I know a few other small boat trollers who do the same thing. This way you wouldn't have to build anything or mount anything to your boat. Just put it on deck and go. There are a lot of sizes available. I'm planning on buying a second half' tote to go on my deck for even more ice.

A kill bin or landing bin is pretty straight forward as well, Something that hold water and is fairly sturdy. Where I live the availability of such items that would suit my boat (small remember) is pretty limited so a day before I went out on my first trip in 2014 (and ever) I had exhausted every option that I thought viable. So i decided to go to the local garden shop just to see if anything there would work before I went to Walmart to get a cheap plastic packing tote which I figured, if I treated it right, would only last me a couple trips. And found a pond liner! It's about 34" x 26" x 10" deep. Worked well for my first season.
http://www.salmontrolling.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3175 <---- there are a couple pics of it on this post with fish in it.

Hope any of my ramblings helped :)

Rob
SteelheadStalker

Thanks for the advice I'm definetly going to use a plastic fish tote for my hold and as for the kill bin I already built one out of wood that sits on top of the engine cowl...I just walked in from that project...I will fiberglass it all tomorrow...Should I put a drain in the box? I plan on putting a thru hull fitting in the bottom of the box and running a hose out so it can drain...also not going to use the hay rack as it will not allow me to fold everything down and travel down the road...selling the hayrack and going with basic aluminum pipe davits...this site is awesome and you guys make it that way! thanks a ton for the help its starting to come together!
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Nice. The welder is about to get to work on my 23ft pacific skiff to rig it for power troll up here in Alaska. Super davits for me. Can't wait to kill some kings.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

Steelhead, yes, fish totes are they way to go for small boats.
The kill bin: Only other thing I can say (and I'm new too so take my word for what it is) is don't put a hole in the bottom... put one closer to the top, say... within the top 25% of the box? (anyone else with thoughts on this?) the reason for that would be is to have water for the fish to lay in inside your kill bin to run water over everything and though the gills while, also, cycling your water. If you had a through hole fitting, or something of the sort, you could attach a hose so you could run the bloody(hopefully ;) water over the side. Does that make sense?

Rob.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

P.S If your using pipe davits make them long. Spread your gear out as much as you can for kings.
SteelheadStalker

Just to make sure I understand correctly, longer Davits so my 2 pulley/blocks are farther apart on the davit? Should my gurdies be spread out away from each other too? Right now I plan to have only 2" gap between the two...
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Look at GSI, Dock Street Brokers, Permit Master, Oregon Coast Maritime and Pacific Boat Brokers for pictures. Most pipe davits are built out of schedule 80 in case you hang a trap.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Its fun designing your new fishing boat. I always liked setting them up.
Robot
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Robot »

Steelhead, I guess I assumed that if you weren't going to install a hayrack you wouldn't have poles either. Therefore no way of spreading out your gear in the water because you wouldn't be able to have tag lines. So you would have to rely on the length of your 'pole davits' to do that job.

I guess I should ask first: are you going to have poles with no hayrack?

There is a boat in town here that has long 'pole davits' and no trolling poles. Seems to work better for smaller 'sport' and trailer able boats, Simply slide out of mounts and lay on the deck/back of truck when you go to get the boat out of the water. I'll try and get a picture of it for you tomorrow if they are still on the boat. Might make more sense to see.

Rob
SteelheadStalker

I see what youre saying now...I have poles...17ft aluminum...not very long but will spread me out better than just davits or a hayrack....I love the hayrack and the whole idea of them but if I use the one I have (came off a bigger boat) I cant fold down my cross tree and poles and travel so I'm forced to use the simpler method...Do I need to make the pipe davits bend out overboard as well? or is it that big of a deal with me using poles? Also do I use the poles to put both lines out each side? Thanks Rob!!
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

The davits need to be overboard enough to allow you to run your gear without the wire cutting or leads pounding into the side of your boat.
If you are going to fish much current or fish deep use a double shive set up as it's less work in the long run and may make your trolling wire last longer.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

You will most likely want to use the poles in conjunction with the davits or your gear will be a pile on top of itself and be more prone to tangles. Poles are used for spreading the gear. Davits are used for running the gear. Tag lines are what goes in between. Make sure you put a break away on your lead and on your tag line insulator.
SteelheadStalker

when u say double shive set up do you mean having 4 pulleys/blocks on each davit arranged somewhat like a hayrack? If so then i'm pretty sure I know what u talking about if not then Im clueless haha...I'm going to use schedule 80 pipe...
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

Four shives for each davit for two spool gurdies.
Six shives for each davit for three spool gurdies.
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Post by Crawfish »

When you build your davits put an eye on the end of the davit to attach a cable stay back up to your mast.
This way when you hang a trap you wont bend your davit. You will just rip the mast off. Just kidding! But seriously make sure you have a proper break away on your lead.
I just built a new set last year out of schedule 80 2" stainless pipe. It was a fun project.