washdown/dewatering pump

Troubleshooting, repair, and how-to's related to marine systems.
kjwelder
Spammer?: No

washdown/dewatering pump

Post by kjwelder »

I'm looking for recommendations for a large (probably hydraulic) washdown and emergency dewatering pump. I'd like to possibly use the pump to ciculate or pump out my slush system. I have a small thru hull that I'm going to use for a small 12v rinse pump. But I want a powerful sucker to move lots of water quickly.

I know that Pacers are durable but need extra plumbing considerations for priming.

I know Jabsco are nice but need $ maintenance for impeller$.

My old boat had an old hydraulic driven bronze pump that was almost a cross between a jabsco and a pacer. I was never able to get the make/model off of it due to age and installation location. Does anyone have a great setup?

Thanks,
Karl
kjwelder

Re: washdown/dewatering pump

Post by kjwelder »

I'm leaning toward installing a similar system to my last boat. I have a rule general wash down that I will reduce from 1 1/2 down to two 3/4 inch deck hoses for rinsing fish. For dewatering and circulating slush I will use a "pump on a stick" rule 3500 to put in the slush bags. At a later date I may add a pacer hydraulic pump on my deck hydro circuit. This system will end up similar to Salty's...
Crawfish
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re: washdown/dewatering pump

Post by Crawfish »

A 2" Pacer pump plumbed for both a deck hose and and emergency bilge pump saved my boat one morning and kept me from financial ruin. Ball valves plumbed above the water line that are easy to get to are a must. Bolted thru seacock on suction of 2" raw water. Foot valve on suction of bilge line with trash screen. This is important because when you flood you will have stuff floating and coming from every where. I had three feet of water in my bilge and there was stuff floating every where. On a positive note I did find my wallet that had been missing for five years.
They move a lot of water fast and can pass some solids without destroying the impeller.
I highly recommend getting one now. You never know when you will need it. And I hope you never do.
I found out electric bilge pumps are a a joke when you have real water to deal with. My whole ordeal could have been avoided if I would have had a two tier high water alarm or a small automated electric bilge pump or both. Scary stuff.